Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Dusty Ideas

Prompt : Kant (Immanuel Kant, I presume) said that we require three things by which to measure happiness: someone to love, something we like to do, and something to look forward to. Who do you love, what do you like to do, and what are you looking forward to this year?


I love my family. I like love to write. And I'm looking forward to a bunch of things this year; girl's camp, my seventeenth birthday, NaNoWriMo, Lydia's sixteenth birthday, the upcoming stake dance...the list goes on. No wonder I'm happy....or at least, content.

~~~

I don't know why I'm putting up another blog post. Nothing, at all, has happened since my last one, and they don't even count for my WriYe word count, which I'm still behind in.

You know, 600000 words seemed reasonable when I picked it, but now the hugeness of that amount of words is kind of scaring me. I started completing my daily 750 words on 750words.com, and I calculated it out. If I do that every single day for the rest of the year, my word count for finishing my stories is down to about 270000, which is still a hugely large number. That's like doing NaNoWriMo almost five and a half times, which still sounds intimidating, despite me having won NaNoWriMo twice.

Still, I'm sure I can do it. It's just the matter of getting the motivation to go back and work on that large stack of stories that is just waiting to be finished. The ideas are still there, of course, but it's like they're covered in a layer of dust.

The effort of dusting one off, re exploring the idea in my mind until I become inspired enough to work on it again, and then resisting the urge to go back and edit/rewrite the parts I've already written is a strenuous process. And I have to repeat it thirty times, because that's the amount of old stories that I've found that I want to work on and finish. There are several others, as well, that I decided were more difficult to bring back to life in my mind, so they will stay in the file for now, perhaps until 2012, when I may or may not do this again, depending on how exhausted I am by then.

But, of course, by then writing so much everyday will seem like a habit, so I won't stop anyway, which is, I suppose, a good thing.